11.12.2013

Fall Y'all


Daddy had a work training out of town the week of Halloween so the Sheriff and I went trick-or-treating on our own this year.  I must say that I love Texas-style trick-or-treating!  It's beautiful weather and everyone sits in their camp chairs in their driveway to hand out candy.  It's like a big ol' block party, which is lots of fun!  Some people had music playing but most were just out there hanging out. Jax kind of caught on to the trick-or-treat idea this year which made it great!  He said "tweeet peese"  for "treat please" and was in HEAVEN at all of the "chocate" and "canny" he received.  We still have loads of candy because we did the double-whammy by hitting the ward trunk-or-treat a few days before Halloween as well as real trick-or-treating on Halloween. 

Other Fun-Filled-Fall Activities:
-We went to a "Pumpkin Farm" at a local church nearby with the MOMS Club.  Yes, The Mom's Club is a real thing and I didn't make it up.  I thought it was pretty funny at first but it's a national organization and everything...Legit, but it ain't got NOTHIN' on Relief Society. ;)  Anyway, Jax's favorite part was the "hay ride" on the "tractor"  (I'm putting all of this in quotations because it wasn't a real pumpkin farm, or a real tractor, or a real hay ride, or a real anything, but Jax liked it and was happy.  That's what matters.  It's just my way of being just a bit sarcastic about the whole enchilada).  They had some fun learning stations set up where the kiddies could weigh different fall items on a balance, see which fall items would float or sink, plant a pumpkin seed, make a jack-o-lantern with stickers, and paint a pumpkin with glitter and glue.  It was a great fall-time activity!  Jax seemed to love exploring so I'll most likely go again next year.  

-We hollowed out our pumpkin the night before Halloween.  I decided to go with the power-drill approach to carving since Mark wasn't home and I'm not necessarily the safest with a knife plus Jax at the same time.  It turned out hideous.  I saw some cute design ideas on pinterest but ours just wasn't it.  Yet again, Jax liked it.  That's what matters. :)  I was hoping he'd really dig in to the pumpkin-guts and have a cool first time texture experience but he wasn't really that into the pumpkin goo.  He did like holding the spoon and trying to scoop it out with that.  I think he loved the moment when we went outside, lit the candle, and put it in the pumpkin for the big reveal.  He kept saying "woooah!" 

    
-I went shopping at the outlets after Halloween while Mark was still gone.  We found some good deals on costumes for next year as well as a couple of other items for the house. This is our mommy-son date picture at the hamburger joint.  
 
-We've hit two high-school football games this season.  I have four young women who are involved in the band, the colorguard, and one is a PT trainer who helps out the football players mainly with their hydration needs ;)  High School football is a whole different story in Texas.  The band and colorguard half-time shows are a new experience here.  Everything REALLY IS bigger in Texas, y'all.  I had a great time watching the young women (and football players) do their thang.  High School football is fun.  There's just an excitement in the air at the games.  I think we'll make it a yearly tradition to go to at least one football game to support our local Buffaloes.  Yikes!  Never thought I'd say it...GO BUFFS.


ISN'T FALL SUCH A WONDERFUL TIME OF YEAR!!!???





No comments: