Things that I love/think are hilarious about my job in TEXAS...
1. We say the Pledge of Allegiance AND the Texas pledge every day. Texans are hard core...that's all there is to it.
2. Every week I get an email from the "care committee" at the school that is entitled "Prayer Roll." It's a list of people to pray for.
3. A student accused another student of stealing something. He then said "I am Christian, I wouldn't steal."
4. I hear the students say "sho is" "flo" (floor) "doe" (door) "ya'll" "I'm fixin' to do this or that" at LEAST once a day
5. I've been asked how old I am I don't know how many times. Usually they ask if I'm in high school.
6. Pronouncing names from looking at the list is next to impossible. Nasya (na-zay-uh), Keanu, Clanterious, Setaliya (the 'l' is silent) (set-ay-ah), Daveanche, Marquavious, Shamajai (sha-mash-ay), etc. etc. etc. Da'shun and Dayshuwn are in the same group. :)
7. Today I was told "You go girl" (with a couple snaps and head swivels) by an 8-year-old
8. The other day the 3rd graders were doing a little quiz with story problems. One girl raised her hand and asked if they needed to put "mals" on their paper. I said "what?"
"do we need to put mals on our paper?"
"What is mals?"
"You know. Do we need to write how many mals?"
"I have no clue what mals is."
A few other children chimed in...."she's saying mals" "she said MILES!"
I couldn't help but just laugh. "Oh MILES."
(Welcome to TEXAS, Lacey). I guess I'm still getting used to it.
6 comments:
Ok. I am laughing my head off! I will call you tomorrow and ask about all of these funny things. By the way, I did have a good time trying to pronounce names and I can't believe you didn't know "mals". :)
So, I was reading these to Chris and we were dying laughing...especailly at the "mals". It is so true, that is how it is here in Texas! :)
This is GREAT! They are lucky to have you!
That post reminds me of my time in Texas. We did service @ an Elementary school in one area & I totally know what you mean. You really don't know what they are saying. Then I would run into our investigators at the store or somewhere and not even be able to tell who they were, because they looked so much like the other 5 women in the same house/apt/trailor. Those were the days....
Hope you are enjoying the SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY:)
This is so funny! I got such a kick out of it! I had to make finn come read it and he was laughing his head off too. You didn't know that you would be speaking a different language in Texas!
This is honestly the funniest thing ever! I love that you teach these kids... what a crack up! Sure do miss you.. but I am so glad things are going well!
Post a Comment