5.10.2010

Yardation Beautification Sensation

Hi! It's just me, Dorothy, here in Kansas. This spring weather is insane. From hail to wind to rain to sun, it's always an interesting place around these parts. "There's no place like home."
Along with spring weather (however loco it may be), we have moved from "indoor" projects to "outdoor" ones. We have been working on "yard beautification" for Monday Night FHE (and any other night we can fit in too) these past few weeks. Enjoy a before and after of the front of our house.

Before....


After...
Focusing on "yard beautification" has been a great experience for me. I have already learned many useful and helpful things. One, where did my muscles go???? I can't use a shovel for more than about 15 minutes without having to take a breather. Moral of the story: If you don't work the muscles, then they go bye-bye.
Two: I think if I HAD to choose a different profession, it would be landscape architecture. I have loved attempting to plan out our yard and it would be nice to know more about planning and creating a landscape. Moral of the story: there isn't one.
Three, all I need to put is Moral of the Story: Any house related project takes a lot longer than you think!
Last but not least, I have married well!!!!! This is the first time Mark and I have done manual labor yard work together. Mark is a git-r-dun kind of guy. But I didn't know he would be such a great yard worker!!! I was so impressed with his work ethic! He worked ALL day one Saturday digging out the grass so we could put in the dirt. I came home from a meeting and started helping him. It was about 8 at night, I thought we would probably be done for the night but he really wanted to keep working to finish. So we stayed out until probably ten or so finishing up tearing out the grass. Now mind you, this was a tough job. I tried doing it for about 5 minutes and told him I could help him but couldn't do the job myself. He had a very sore back the next few days but got the project finished! I was slightly surprised but completely impressed with my husband's ability to do manual labor and stick with it. Moral of the story: Sometimes you think you are married to someone absolutely great, but as you keep getting to know him, you realize he's magnificent, amazing, and Mr. Incredible.

P.S. We are also planting a little vegetable garden in the back, but I'm not telling anyone just in case nothing grows. shhhh! :)

8 comments:

Natalie Marie said...

wow, nice work Lacey Loo! Your yard looks wonderful and I love your house!

Kimberli said...

I must say... I love it. You should totally do landscape architecture. But what happened to Zumba as your alternate career? :)

And WAY TO GO, Mark!

Price and Angela said...

Sweet! Great job, it looks great from here. And good luck with the garden.

Heidi said...

We miss you guys! Nice work- So fun! :)

Brandon and Danna said...

Good job! Looks fabulous! Last year I missed getting to get my hands in the dirt. We miss you guys.

Cindy said...

Hey, it looks awesome. I am so proud of you two. I think you did an incredible job designing it and Mr. Incredible did a great job getting all that grass out; thats no easy job....my lazy, weakling self would have dumped dirt over the top. Way to go!!!

Heather Tew said...

It looks great!! When they say yard work it is nothing but WORK!! It paid off though, good job!!!

Mike and Kim said...

Hey your yard looks great! Hopefully Mike's suggestions were a help to you. Also, thanks for all you've done for me and I meant to call you back when you called me like a week ago, but we were already on the road coming here. I'm so happy we can keep in touch on here! Keep us updated on how your are doing.