8.04.2010

Just a Li'l Bit of Lately


I have been searching for "cool Math stuff" for my upcoming job and I ran across a website with some games, naturally, I had to try them out and found one to be pretty fun. I showed the hedgehog game to Mark and since has successfully beat it, twice. I enjoy this game but I'd have to say one of my favorites is still the classic, Pac Man.
I have been trying a few new things in the kitchen as of lately. I made strawberry freezer jam a couple of months ago with my mom and sis for the first time. It was much easier than I had imagined. Since blueberries and strawberries happened to go on sale again, I decided to try some more jam, this time with mixed berries. {To be quite honest, I can't taste a difference with the blueberries in the jam, really}
It's always nice to have meals where over half the ingredients is fresh from the garden. Everything seems to taste so much better being fresh rather than from the store!
I caught the "baking bug" the last few days and decided to try a couple new things. I tried making jalapeno-cheese bread. It was delicious! I think I will definitely make it again. I did eat one bite in particular that required an immediate 64 oz. of water within 20-30 seconds after indulging. Other than that bite, I would say the 'kick' is just about right. I spread some cream cheese mixed with mozzarella and a few seasonings on the bread. I don't know which was better, these or the cupcakes. It's a toss up because they both included cream cheese (who doesn't love anything with the word "cream" in it, honestly?).
I tried a colorful cupcake recipe from this website. I modified it a little bit by only doing three colors and making my own frosting version, but the addition of sour cream {there's that 'cream' word again} to the cake mix made this cake really moist. I generally prefer ice cream over cake nine times out of ten but I can't seem to keep my paws off these babies.
A kiss from the cook...Two random facts about the Tews:
Something new that Mark enjoys:We have officially changed from the dog being a man's best friend to the DROID. Mark is passionate about getting good deals on things. It's fitting that his favorite "app" is the bar-code scanning feature. He scans something and then checks online to compare prices. He loves it! (and I think it's pretty sweet too)

Something Lacey enjoys:This plant {and cream cheese}. I keep taking pictures of it because I think it's so cool and because it seems like every week it looks so much bigger than the week before.

5 comments:

Kimberli said...

Long live cream cheese!

Thanks for the recipes. Can't wait to try them. I'm just curious... was the "spicey" bite the first bite of bread or the last? Just wondering...

Brandon and Danna said...

What is your new job? I am very excited for you.

Brittney said...

Mrs. Tew, you always did wow me with your homemaking skills! I will forever remember the heavenly rolls you made in the tiny kitchen in Pineview! Good memories! I miss seeing you guys, and I'm glad all is going well for you two! Keep inspiring me! :)

Cindy said...

I've to try that jalepeno bread. I think Dad and I would love it. You forgot to mention your refrigerator pickles....I want to try that too. I think I shall get you a chef hat. Can't wait until Labor day to have a few taste testers

Zach and Janelle Crockett said...

LACEY!!! How are you??? So turns out this is your cousin Janelle. . .I don't know if you remember me it has been so long since I have seen you! But just so you know I keep updated on your life by looking at your blog. You probably didn't even know that I knew you had one, but I look at Andrea's blog and saw yours on there so I check it out to see what you are up to these days. And I just made a blog a little while ago, and thought that I would get your e-mail address so I could add you to my list so you could see it. So if you would like to somehow send me your address or something so I can add you. If you can't send it on this blog thing, then send it to my e-mail which is nellievtb42@yahoo.com. Hope to hear from you soon!! Janelle (Gundersen) Crockett